Total Mobile

Improving Quality

In this months (January 2012) Clinical Services Journal, there is an interesting report on initiatives in transfusion in joint surgery that improve patient outcomes, reduce post-operative complications and reduce the length of stay. (page 59 to 62) One very relevant piece of information is that an audit showed that patients who had a donor transfusion spent 3.8 to 4.5 more days in hospital than those who did not receive a transfusion.

The chances of readmission were also higher for those who received a donor transfusion – 21% versus 5% for knee patients and 12% versus 6% for hip patients. Patients who had a preoperative Haemoglobin (Hb) level of less than 12 g/dl are at high risk of transfusion (50% likelihood of transfusion), between 12 – 13 g/dl are at medium risk (up to 40% likelihood) and those with Hb of 13 g/dl are considered to be low risk of transfusion (10%).

To avoid a donor transfusion, increasing the Hb level pre-operatively is one option – patients can do this by taking extra iron supplements for the weeks leading up to admission. If they are seen at a pre-operative clinic, doctors may prescribe intravenous iron or even erythropoetin to quickly increase the Hb level. Patients that are admitted with an Hb less than 13 g/dl still have the option of getting their own blood back through cell salvage intra-operatively.

This will mean that they may still avoid the complications of donor transfusion. For improved quality of care, reduced hospital stay and reduced complications, using Mobile Blood Savers service will help.

see all the latest news and articles

Advantages of Moble Health Systems:

  • No capital outlay for equipment
  • No expensive service contracts
  • Versapulse Holmium Powersuite 100w and 20w
  • Laser supplied direct to your theatre
  • Laser fibres supplied
  • Specialist instrumentation supplied
  • Protective eyewear supplied
  • Safety signs provided
  • Service records for equipment
  • Generic treatment protocols
  • Consultation on laser policies
  • Basic laser safety training where applicable
  • Certified Application Specialist on site
  • NICE Approved.
  • Flexible uretero-renoscope for hire.
  • Commission requirements for laser safe theatre.


"I have been most fortunate to have been able to work with Mobile Health Systems in my private practice since 2004. The support MHS has given me in establishing and maintaining a high quality HoLEP service has been, and continues to be, outstanding ..." »»
Tev Aho. Consultant Urological Surgeon

"Having started performing laser stone surgery and holmium laser enucleation of the prostate in 2003, I have had a working relationship with Mobile Health Systems Ltd for over five years. In the early stages, the experience of their laser operatives was invaluable in helping me develop my operative technique .." »»
Mark Cynk Consultant Urologist Kent & Sussex NHS Trust

[Leave Your Testimonial]

News & Articles

First UK Virtual Reality Urology Simulator
Mobile Health Systems working in partnership with VirtaMed have brought the first virtual reality urology simulator to the UK. »»

Blood Savers at Mobile Health
Blood Savers become part of Mobile Health Systems »»

Improving Quality
A recent audit showed that patients who had a donor transfusion spent 3.8 to 4.5 more days in hospital than those who did not receive a transfusion. »»

» Home Page
» About Us
» What We Provide
» The Results
» Further Information
  » Careers
» Contact Us
» Testimonials
» Request A Booking
» Mobile Bloodsavers
Web Design By Web Connections

We Use the CPR Computer Disposal Service. Part of CPR Computer Recycling to do our bit for the environment!